Friday, January 11

All set!

48 hours from now, I will be on a plane on my way to Osaka, Japan. My flight is booked, I have my visa, and I think I'm ready to go!

I had my orientation yesterday and got the chance to speak to a student who previously worked for the same company as me. I got a lot more information about what to expect...

I will be staying in a women's dormitory approximately 1 hour by train from where I work. Breakfast & supper will be provided on weekdays - I'm on my own for lunches and weekends. My dorm will probably have a curfew - either I will need a key card after a certain time, or I'll be locked out. Being locked out isn't too much of a problem, though, because you can sleep in cafes or restaurants for a small fee (whaatt?!?!?!). I will have to get internet set up in my dorm, unless I can find another resident who is willing to share.

There are many other international students in Japan, three of them in Osaka. The coop students get together and travel and sightsee together, so I don't have to worry about finding someone to travel with! Every year, they also usually get together and climb Mt Fuji, so I'm definitely bringing my hiking shoes!

I take the train to work, and will be working on small steam product design projects. I work mostly on my own and in conjunction with my supervisor. I work from 9-5:40, with an hour lunch. There is a cafeteria in the building. My supervisor speaks very good English, but most other people at the office don't speak much English.

That's it for now.... :)

No comments: