Friday, February 8

Victory, but not without cost.

Today, I conquered the gym.

It was a long, fierce, and bloody battle with but one casualty - my Pride. With the loss of this great leader, the troops faltered and almost failed; but in memory of their fallen leader rallied together to finish the battle victoriously.

I managed to get changed and shower off without causing any chaos. I made my way down to the pool area, walked through the random shower mini-hallway, and made a beeline for the hottub to sit for a minute and take stock of the pool area. Then I picked a lane (signs with pictures are helpful) and started swimming. After two laps, a very nice staff member came over and said, 'Excuse me...', so I sat on the edge of the pool. He told me in mostly English and with the help of a picture, that my two piece bathing suit was not allowed, and I needed to have a one piece bathing suit. He said it was okay for this time, but next time I needed to get a one piece. I almost got out and went home right there, but I figured - everyone in the pool area already knows I don't know what I'm doing, so why give up now? I did my swimming (which was wonderful!!) and then booked it back to the changeroom. There are hottubs in the main pool area, the women's changeroom, and the men's changeroom. I found out last time that I need a towel in the steam room (which I didn't have with me), so I thought I'd try the hottub.
Important Note: Almost every woman in the changeroom and shower/hottub/steam room area was naked, or had a mini-towel covering select things. Since I grew up in Conservative BC, I'm would prefer to have my bathing suit on...
I slipped into the hottub, sat for a while, took a quick shower, and got changed again. When I got back down to the front desk, I decided I should check - so using pictures from brochures and my bits of Japanese, I asked about bathing suits and the hottub - guesssss what!? Not allowed. I gave a big sigh of understanding and thanked the girl and headed home.

I think the problem is that people look at me funny - and I'm not sure if it's because I'm the only Caucasian in the facility, or if it's because I'm doing something wrong! However, I am now confident that with the purchase of another bathing suit and a little bit more comfort with my not-clothed body, I can make my next trip to the pool a mistake free one! I'll tackle a mistake-free gym visit another day...

1 comment:

canadasue said...

you are brave on many levels... your courage and sense of adventure in the face of adversity have my admiration! Thanks again for sharing even the difficult stuff...