Friday, May 9

All The Fuss (Added To)

(Addition at the end - I finished the book. First part from the morning, second part the evening.)

I am reading Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code. Considering all the controversy that surrounded it when it became popular, I thought I should see what all the fuss was about - and I have! The story draws you in, as most mysteries do (especially to me). The book does have a large amount of historically accurate and historically controversial information weaved into the fictional plot and the information it presents to go along with the plot. It reads as a true story - and it would be easier if it were written as one! I will have to do a lot of other reading and research to figure out what is based on fact and what is included as fiction. It is intriguing, though, and I am thoroughly enjoying the book.

I apologize for not blogging this week - hopefully I'll get some updates up this weekend. Mom left on Wednesday...it was really hard to see her go, but we had a great time while she was here. I'll put up some pictures, etc soon.

-------------------------

Edited to Add:
I feel as though I've been handed the answer to the greatest secret in the history of this world. I feel emotionally and mentally strained. All because of a novel - a work of fiction. I don't know if it is that some fact along with controversial 'fact' is so artfully and completely woven in with the fiction. Or if it is the incomprehensible impact that would be made, were the story true. A good book pulls you into the story; intertwines your life and your story with that of the characters. Dan Brown certainly did an incredible job of creating a world and a story that envelopes the reader. I can see what the fuss was all about. Several times I had to force myself to close the book for just a minute and breathe in and out - to avoid exploding with suspense and excitement; my heart racing at the possibility of danger and the taste of an answer to the riddle. When I read a book, I become a part of that world; I am there, and I see, feel, touch, and taste the story surrounding me. Some books are better at drawing the reader in than others. The Da Vinci Code is one of them, and I can understand how so many people took the book as truth and fact. If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend it as an excellent novel. But be careful...you may find yourself running from the French police, sweating at gunpoint, and solving mysterious riddles (I believe have found 83 of the 92 anagrams to 'planets'. But the remaining 9 elude me. Grr.).

PS - Sorry - I know this isn't a book review blog, but I got so caught up in the story that I skipped the gym (read while walking home instead), and haven't eaten supper yet (9:30pm now). So the book is what my evening consisted of; therefore, blogged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it cool when a book sweeps you away like that?

Sometimes I almost feel dizzy and disoriented trying to return to "real life!"